Thursday, November 14, 2013

Updates

31w with curly hair - explanation below
I feel like a lot has happened in the past week and I wanted to use this week's post to update everyone on what's been going on so please excuse me if this entry is all over the place.

Today I am 31w (!!), which technically means I am now in the single digits as far as weeks left in my pregnancy.  However, apparently I have been in the single digits for a few weeks now and just didn't know it until my OB appointment last week. We went in for my normal, bi-weekly appointment where we saw the doctor that I had switched to after my first pregnancy since I am currently rotating through all the doctors in the practice (There are 6 doctors in the practice, I started out seeing one who happened to be on maternity leave during our bad anatomy scan and all the events that followed so I switched to the doctor that helped us out at the time.  He was great, but when I got pregnant the second time I switched back to my original doctor so although he knew everything that's been going on with us, I hadn't seen him in a while).  When he came into the room he actually said that seeing me at 29w pregnant with a healthy baby made his day which I thought was so nice.  Anyways, he said that based on my history I will most likely deliver at 38w and that they wouldn't let me go past 39w.  I was so taken aback at the time that I really didn't think to ask any questions but now I am kind of confused.  I guess I can understand why he thinks I will probably deliver around 38w but I don't get why they would induce at 39w.  I have no problem with an induction if the baby's health is at risk and it's the only way to get him here safely, but if it's not a medical necessity I really would like to avoid an induction and let the baby come on his own, when he is ready.  I have another appointment next week so I will ask some questions then and see if I can get some more info.  Regardless, the fact that I probably have less time that I originally thought I had until the baby gets here is just causing more anxiety since it means I have less time to get everything done.
  
I did mention to the doctor that we hadn't had an ultrasound in quite a while so he got out their ultrasound machine and let us take a peak at the baby which was great.  He also wants me to start doing non-stress tests at 32w just to be safe, rather than waiting until 36w for my next ultrasound like I had originally been told would be the plan.  He's not concerned about there being a problem, I think he just wants to cover all our bases and do everything we can to ensure that this is finally our take home baby.  It's definitely nice to have a doctor who understands my anxiety and paranoia and doesn't just think I'm crazy.

The next issue of importance - the hair.  I think everyone knows that I have naturally curly hair and I hate it. I flat iron it religiously, every day but I was thinking about it the other day and I realized that once the baby is here I am not going to have the time or energy to straighten my hair so I should probably get used to wearing it curly.  I wore it curly to work today and I am feeling very out of my comfort zone, although I have gotten several compliments so I guess that makes me feel a little less hideous.  On top of that, my latest strange pregnancy symptom is that I seem to have developed carpel tunnel and my wrists have been killing me. Using a flat iron really aggravates it so I figured it wouldlnt be a bad idea to give my wrists a break today.

As I mentioned briefly last week, there was a little bit of a debacle with the nursery furniture that has now been straightened out, but it was touch and go for a minute there.  When we ordered the furniture (dresser with changing table topper, crib and crib conversion kit) from Pottery Barn Kids back in September the dresser and crib conversion kit were delivered fairly quickly but we were told the crib was on back order until October 13th.  Well, last week I realized it was well-past October 13th and we hadn't gotten the crib, nor had we heard anything from Pottery Barn so I decided to call customer service.  Imagine my surprise when I was told that the crib had been discontinued and their system didn't show they were going to be getting anymore in to fill the 12 (one of which was mine) outstanding orders.  The next day I called the Tyson's Corner store, which is where we purchased the furniture from, and spoke to a manager who said she was going to do some research and see what she could find out and would get back to me.  Of course I didn't hear anything back from her so I called her the following day, which was a Thursday and she said she wouldn't have anymore information until Monday.  When I called her again on Monday she said the person she was trying to get in touch with wasn't getting back to her and their system was showing that the crib was permanently out of stock so she basically advised me just to return the dresser and conversion kit (after offering two unhelpful solutions - a) I could get the crib in white.  Um, if I wanted the crib in white I would have ordered it in white in the first place. b) They had another style crib that came in the gray finish and she could give it to me at the same price as the crib we originally ordered but I didn't like that crib) since she really couldn't give me any idea of when or if the crib would come in and I wasn't willing to wait any longer.  I then proceeded to rip Pottery Barn Kids a new one, telling her how I thought it was awful customer service that no one ever contacted me to let me know the crib had been discontinued and that they didn't know when or if they would be able to fill my order and that I would never shop at Pottery Barn again and arranged to have everything picked up and a full refund issued.  Then yesterday I got a call from the general manager of the store telling me she would be happy to give me 20% off anything in the store, like that would make up for everything.  I told that I was done with Pottery Barn and no thanks.

Luckily, Restoration Hardware Baby had a similar collection which I ordered as soon as I got done telling Pottery Barn off and I got a phone call the following day to schedule delivery.  All of the items are in stock and will be delivered on Tuesday.  So, the crisis was averted but I was definitely dealing with some unnecessary stress for a little bit there thanks to the atrocious customer service of Pottery Barn.  Please don't ever shop there again and tell everyone you know to do the same.

Lastly, we had our child birth class this past Sunday.  It ended up not being as bad as I thought it would be.  I don't really feel that I learned any new information since I have already been through a delivery once before and I have also been doing a lot of reading about the subject but I think it was a good for Jon since he has not been doing the research that I have been doing. I got a little emotional when they showed a video about child birth but other than that, my anxiety level was much better than I had expected it to be.

Wow, that was quite the update!


No comments:

Post a Comment