Monday, August 19, 2013

Day of Hope and Prenatal Yoga

                                  


Today, August 19th, is the Day of Hope. This day was created to honor and remember our babies and children that left us too soon. It is a day of healing and a day of Hope. To read more about this special day, please visit the Day of Hope blog.

~

On a lighter note - I finally bit the bullet and took a prenatal yoga class this past Saturday. I've been talking about doing it for weeks now, but kept chickening out.  I practiced yoga regularly before I got pregnant, so it's not the yoga that I was afraid of, it was actually the thought of being in a room full of pregnant women that gave me anxiety. I know this is silly since I am now a pregnant women but I just feel like my experience with pregnancy is SO different than what "normal" pregnant people go through. I realize I don't know the stories of any of these other women and for all I know they could have dealt with previous losses too, but chances are more likely that they are all happy, naive preggos and that is just something I can't relate to. 

I figured I was finally getting to a place in my pregnancy where I am feeling comfortable with things and starting to get excited so this would be a good a time as any to finally take a class. I went to my regular yoga studio which is very tranquil (it is called Tranquil Space, after all) so that helped to calm me down and ease some of my anxieties. Then the instructor said she was going to start class with introductions and my anxiety quickly shot back up. I got really worried she was going to make us tell everyone if this was our first pregnancy and that is a question I dread having to answer. Do I answer truthfully that its my third pregnancy and then run the risk of being asked a follow up question about how old are my other children to which I would then have to awkwardly explain that I don't have any living children? Or do I lie and just say it is my first pregnancy and then have to deal with my own inner guilt of not recognizing our son and daughter? Luckily that was not something she asked us to include in our introductions but as I get closer to coming out in public with this pregnancy I know that's a question I am sure to get.

So we went through introductions and then we started the actual yoga. The classes I usually take are very fast paced but this one was very slow which will definitely take some getting used to. I was a little sore the next day though which is always a sign of a good work out and considering I pretty much stopped all physical activity once I found out I was pregnant, I think this class will be a good way for me to get moving again. The instructor seemed to be very into natural child birth which is not something that interests me but I'm sure some of the breathing techniques will still be useful when it comes times for the actual delivery.

There is another yoga studio by us that also offers a weekend prenatal yoga class so I think I am going to try that one this weekend and see which one i like better and then my plan is to keep it up on a weekly basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment